Breast Lift after Pregnancy
Pregnancy is proof our bodies can accomplish amazing things. But for many moms, pregnancy can alter the shape of the breasts, leaving them sagging, uneven, or deflated in size.
At our Scottsdale, AZ practice, Dr. Steven Wiener can perform a breast lift after pregnancy to restore the appearance of your breasts. A breast lift can return your natural breasts to their pre-pregnancy shape.
What Is a Breast Lift?
Known as a mastopexy, breast lift surgery raises the natural position of the breast. By tightening the skin and shaping the breast, a breast lift can restore pre-pregnancy height and firmness.
The breasts naturally sag and lose volume after pregnancy because the ligaments are stretched from hormonal and weight changes.
It is important to note that these changes happen because of pregnancy, not breastfeeding; studies have shown that mothers who breastfeed and mothers who do not face comparable amounts of breast sagging after pregnancy.
Who Is a Good Candidate?
Significant physical changes in the body may alter the effects of a breast lift. We follow the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ recommendation for breast lift candidates.
These include moms who:
- Are overall healthy with a stable weight
- Are no longer attempting to become pregnant
- Do not smoke
- Have breasts that are flattened or elongated after pregnancy
- Have nipples that fall below the crease of the breast
- Have downward facing nipples
- Have one breast that sits lower than the other breast
Breast lift surgery should only be considered once you and your partner have decided to stop conceiving. Subsequent pregnancy after a breast lift can minimize the results or even reverse the effects.
How Is the Recovery Process?
Recovery will take time. However, there are certain actions you can take to help your recovery go smoothly:
- Wear a compression garment: Dr. Wiener will give you instructions on wearing a compression garment that will help reduce swelling and aid with blood flow. Wear it as much as possible in the first few weeks after surgery to improve recovery.
- Wait to exercise for at least four to six weeks: Give your body time to recover by prioritizing rest and relaxation as much as possible.
- Sleep on your back: Avoid putting direct pressure and weight on your breasts as they heal.
What Results Can I Expect?
Breast lift results are not immediate. Typically, the final results will be visible within a few months after the procedure, as the breasts settle into their new position. Though incision lines will be permanent, they fade with time, and can be further reduced with certain ointments that diminish scarring.
Breast lift results will last a long time; with time, the position may change slightly as the rest of your body ages, but results can be maintained with proper diet, exercise, and lifestyle habits.
How Do I Learn More?
As a mother, you should be proud of your body’s accomplishments. Let us help you gain back confidence in your appearance through a post-pregnancy breast lift. By choosing our practice, you are in good hands: Dr. Steven Wiener has been helping Arizona patients achieve the cosmetic enhancements they desire for over 20 years.
Contact our practice online or call us at (480) 596-6886 to set up a consultation with Dr. Wiener.