Breast Augmentation for Small Breasts
Breast augmentation increases breast size to give women the body contours they desire. Breast implants are available in all shapes and sizes, and it is important that patients customize their breast augmentation procedure to get the treatment results they desire. This is particularly true for women with smaller breasts, and naturally less breast tissue and skin.
Plastic surgeon Steven Wiener helps patients from the Scottsdale, AZ, area consider the factors that are important when it comes to achieving attractive and natural looking results from breast augmentation for small breasts.
Smaller Implants May Be Best
If a woman is undergoing surgery to enhance her appearance and boost her confidence, it is important that she gets the results she desires. While it may seem like large implants are the most effective way to enhance the bustline, smaller implants are often best for those of our Scottsdale patients who are starting with naturally small breasts.
Small implants can provide the enhancement that a woman desires without making the breasts look overly round, large, or unnatural. Some of the potential benefits of small implants for women with small breasts (and likely a smaller body frame) include:
- Small implants complement a smaller frame
- Small implants maintain the right body proportions for a smaller frame
- Small implants are not likely to be seen under thin skin
- Small implants fit better in a small breast pocket, and will not be as compressed as large implants (which can make implants look round)
- Small implants tend to look more natural for women with minimal breast tissue
Saline or Silicone?
Choosing between a saline or silicone implant is an important decision for breast augmentation. Each of these implant types has their own benefits and potential drawbacks. When a woman has naturally small breasts, there are special considerations that should go into selecting the type of implant that will be used in her augmentation.
- Saline implants: Saline implants are deflated when they are inserted. This allows for a smaller incision, as well as greater control over implant size. The implant is filled once in place, so it is easy to get proper proportions as well as symmetry between the two breasts. One potential downside is that saline implants may be more visible in women with thinner skin and lower body fat.
- Silicone implants: Silicone implants are pre-filled, which provides less control over implant size, but they do come in a wide variety of sizes so they can accommodate women looking for a smaller implant. Some women with smaller breasts prefer silicone implants because they are less likely to be visible beneath the skin, and they feel more like the natural breast tissue.
Implant placement is another important consideration for women with small breasts. If the breasts are small, a woman is likely to have thin chest skin and minimal breast fat. Because of this, Dr. Wiener often recommends submuscular placement to those of our Scottsdale patients with small breasts. Submuscular placement positions the upper part of the breast implant beneath the chest muscle. This creates a smooth transition from the chest wall to the implant and provides more implant coverage so it is not visible through the skin.
If you are considering breast augmentation for small breasts, Dr. Steven Wiener can customize a treatment plant that will give you the enhancement you desire while maintaining a natural appearance. To learn more about our treatment options, reach out to our practice online or call us at (480) 596-6886.